Saturday, December 9

Tech Tips - Securing personal computer with Microsoft Safety Scanner, Defender, Avast & Malwarebyte

There are times when Windows OS on your computer misbehaves and you are not sure if it is because of some malware or is it a Windows issue. I started getting a message that said  "Interactive Service Detection - A program running on this computer is trying to display a message". 

I had never seen such message in Windows and I suspected a virus or Malware had affected my laptop. I checked Microsoft website and found that this error could also be because of  some Windows issue. But when you are not sure you should DO A COMPLETE SCAN FOR MALWARE.  I found Microsoft Safety Scanner tool (freeware) from Microsoft which can detect & remove malware from laptop.  Safety Scanner gave a cleanchit to my laptop which meant the issue was because of some corrupt files. Next I ran Windows System File Checker tool (it is part of Windows OS) and repaired few corrupted files. A clean shutdown and start confirmed that the issue was resolved. I assume like me, not many people would be aware of Microsoft Safety Scanner so I am sharing the link on my blog. This tool works for 10 days after download ( Microsoft keeps updating the tool virus database) so if you have to again execute it on 11th day you will have to download a fresh copy

By the way I have free version of Avast Antivirus & Malwarebites freeware protecting my laptop & I also have Windows Defender installed (only one of the antivirus will be actively monitoring the Windows). There is another good tool called Sourceforge HJT that I use to do random scans for Adware/Malware. Every time I feel the computer is acting a bit funny or is getting slow I run these tools to check for malware & unwanted software.

About Microsoft Microsoft Safety Scanner ( text from Microsoft website)

Microsoft Safety Scanner is a scan tool designed to find and remove malware from Windows computers. Simply download it and run a scan to find malware and try to reverse changes made by identified threats. Safety Scanner only scans when manually triggered and is available for use 10 days after being downloaded. We recommend that you always download the latest version of this tool before each scan.
NOTE: This tool does not replace your antimalware product. For real-time protection with automatic updates, use Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10 and Windows 8 or Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7. These anti-malware products also provide powerful malware removal capabilities. If you are having difficulties removing malware with these products, you can refer to our help on removing difficult threats.
Click on this link to download Microsoft Safety Scanner

Other useful links -
1) https://www.avast.com/
2) https://www.malwarebytes.com/
3) https://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/
4) Repairing a corrupted file in Windows using sfc command
    a) Using Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool for Windows 8. 8.1 &10
    b) Use the system file checker tool to repair missing or corrupted Windows system files


No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Generative AI and Generative AI Platform leaders

We are hearing a lot about power of Generative AI. Generative AI is a vertical of AI that  holds the power to #Create content, artwork, code...